April 26, 2018, 01:31:05 am *
Welcome, Guest.
News: Welcome!

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ending a game in a draw  (Read 3427 times)
TwxTr7

Rep: 0

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:37:43 pm »

Anyone know how to end a game in a draw?
Peyrol

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:31:14 am »

Here is a contrived example.

Let us say the blue group can connect to the right side, and the orange group can reach the bottom. Blue is blocked from reaching the left, but orange cannot connect his two groups. In order to win, you must create a continuous chain of linked pegs which connects your border rows, and orange has not done that. If it were legal for orange to place a peg at A3, then he could connect B5 to C2, but it is illegal to play in an opposing border row. Orange might try to create a new chain B3-C5-B7-C9, but blue can easily stop that by occupying any vacant hole along that chain.

Drawn positions like this can occur anywhere on the board. Players are allowed to agree to a draw even if the position is not drawn, but among experienced players this is generally not done.
AnotherAmateur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:58:47 am »

had a similar experience at home. Ended in a complete 2 way tie lol. ill post a picture later
sketchpad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 05:43:16 pm »

I do not consider this a draw unless you are talking about 'just this corner'. Look at how much of the playing board is still open. Pick a new place on the board and start from there--even if it means totally abandoning this 'one' corner. Just because there is a draw in this one corner of the whole board, doesn't mean the game is over.
Peyrol

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 12:56:35 pm »

I do not consider this a draw unless you are talking about 'just this corner'. Look at how much of the playing board is still open. Pick a new place on the board and start from there--even if it means totally abandoning this 'one' corner. Just because there is a draw in this one corner of the whole board, doesn't mean the game is over.
That is true, but I specifically added the stipulation "Let us say the blue group can connect to the right side, and the orange group can reach the bottom." It is always a good idea to keep the whole board in mind, and I commend your attitude.
honestabe
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 08:07:28 pm »

It looks like on this site if there is truly a draw, one player will have to resign to end the game.
I also see a *lot* of unfinished games.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: