October 20, 2017, 01:33:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest.
News: Welcome!

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: stories of playing the board game back in the day  (Read 1887 times)
scooter1101980

Rep: 0

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2016, 05:50:24 pm »

I had the good luck of buying the TwixT board game a little over two years ago on ebay in my endeavor of collecting board games. I had never heard of it, but I am definitely older than the game, so I just don't know. Since I love the game now, I have heard a few stories of people that played in their younger years. One was from a player who is no longer on the site, but when he talked about playing the board game with his family on the porch of their cabin along a river, you could hear the excitement in his words. "Even in the wind, the pegs on the board held up good", he said. "The rain hitting on the tin roof, it was great". Two players on this site, talk about playing the board game when they were growing up, now living in different parts of the country, and now are able to play, everyday, if they want to, on this site. Just some fantastic. If you have an experience to share about playing the board game, take a few minutes and post it. I think it's very interesting. Thanks, and take care.
jgeis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 07:57:20 pm »

I bought my Twixt board game from a local store when I was college during the early 70's.  The 'Bookcase' style packaging immediately caught my attention and is still one of my favorite game packaging styles.  It is a well thought out design.  I played others in my dorm while at college, but never found anyone to really play against afterwards.  I also purchased another 3M bookshelf game called 'Ploy' which is somewhat of a variation of chess.
scooter1101980

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:24:42 pm »

Thanks jgeis. That's what I like to hear. How people found out about the game.
Peyrol

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 12:33:02 pm »

I was a high school freshman back in 1967. At the chess club, a girl had a 3M set and introduced me to my addiction. She won, but I took longer to defeat than she was expecting. She was a bit anxious because she wanted to catch her bus home. There were four of us at that club who enjoyed playing Twixt instead of chess. In college I found a few opponents, but generally not so much, because no one wanted to lose to me. A strong chess player offered me a bet, $50 if I could win 50 consecutive games. I turned him down. I was pretty good then, but I knew I wasn't that good. The Internet has provided me with opponents strong enough to teach me how to play really well. My first Net games were on Gamerz. Back in 1991 it had no graphic interface, and play was by email using monospace text graphics. You had to type in the move coordinates AND your password with every move. Now it's a very decent interface, as you can see if you click on the above link. By now I have played well over 2000 Net games, maybe as many as 3000. I hope to play thousands more.
honestabe
Grand Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 08:27:43 pm »

My story is similar to Peyrol's.  I learned the game after leaving the Navy in '78 and enjoyed it.  I bought the bookshelf version and after a few years, lost the game due to moving to a new home.  For many years I missed playing the game until one day I was playing chess online and thought to myself, Twixt would lend itself well to a computer played game.  I started searching and found Little Golem.

Peyrol kicked my butt many many times before I gained enough experience to give him a challenge.  He is still a better player than I, so I savor the victories when I am able to win a game from him.
TheGroom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 02:26:14 am »

I actually only just barely learned TWIXT the summer of 2014 while deployed with the USAF.  Another Airman introduced me to the website gamesbyemail.com.  We tried most of the games on that site and enjoyed most of the chess variations.  One day we tried out TWIXT and were hooked.  We probably played 3-5 games a day for months, or so it felt.  Only the two of us gained interest in TWIXT from our Squadron.  It was probably slow progression from the outside looking in, but we were evenly matched.  In our endeavors to get better, my friend found this site and grew exponentially over a short period of time.  The only way to keep up was to join this site, and how grateful I am now!  For I no longer have only 1 opponent, but many!
nicolaasje

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 06:40:08 am »

i was a good friend of alex randolph, the inventor of twixt and hundreds of other games - but on hid tomb in venice it reads - alex randolph, the inventor of twixt........
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: